21 Apr 5 Step Checklist for HVAC Spring Cleaning
Spring is here, and that means it’s time to clean out the old and bring in the new. When you think of spring cleaning, you may automatically think of decluttering your garage and reorganizing your living space, but there’s more to your home than meets the eye. Now is the perfect time to walk through your spring cleaning checklist to make sure your HVAC system is also cleaned and ready to go when Albuquerque’s hot summer days settle in.
1. Inspect the Equipment – You don’t want to find out that something’s not working when the temperatures begin to soar. Instead, embrace spring as the time to have your air conditioning system inspected by an HVAC professional who can proactively repair any damaged or outdated parts before your A/C becomes essential.
2. Clean or Replace Filters – Depending on the type of filter you have in your home, it might be best to change your filters more frequently, but quarterly cleaning or replacement is often a good place to start. If you have HEPA filters, you can simply vacuum them to remove dirt and dust particles or call in a professional to clean them thoroughly.
3. Clear the Drainage Hole – Many air conditioners have a drainage hole under the evaporator fins at the base of the cabinet. If this hole becomes clogged, it can prevent your air conditioner from working properly. As part of your spring cleaning regimen, ensure there is a clear pathway for the drainage to escape.
4. Dry & Clean the Dehumidifier – Your air conditioner’s dehumidifier needs special attention to operate optimally. It’s best to dry it out completely by removing the housing. Once it has access to air, the moisture will evaporate. From here, the surface and crevices need to be thoroughly vacuumed out. Albuquerque cooling is essential in the summer, so be sure you don’t put this step off!
5. Seal Leaks – If cold water is escaping through cracks around the windows and other openings of your home, your energy bill will be much higher than it needs to be. To combat expensive monthly bills, make sure your home is as energy-efficient as possible by sealing leaks with caulk and replacing troublesome windows.
Don’t let your air conditioner slip through the spring cleaning cracks! Call on the professionals at Axiom Home Services so you can make sure your air conditioner is in tip-top shape this spring. Let us know how we can help you!