22 May Ways to Save Money on Your Air Conditioning This Summer
Running your air conditioner all the time can make your electric bill go through the roof. Turn it off, and you are left feeling irritable and unpleasant. What to do? Here are five simple ways to cut costs and keep your cool this summer with just a few minor adjustments around the house.
1. Location, location, location: If you are having a unit installed, pay attention to where you place the thermostat. For instance, if you place it next to a window, the unit will kick on all of the time, thinking that it is hotter than it actually is. Keep the temperature in mind when deciding where to put it.
2. Opt for privacy: Speaking of windows, it’s a good idea to keep your blinds shut when operating your air conditioner. Keeping out the sunlight will ensure that your unit doesn’t have to work as hard, and will help to contain costs.
3. Be a fan of fans: Before you reach for the thermostat, reach for the fan pull instead. According to the National Resource Defense Council (NRDC), using a ceiling-mounted fan can make a room feel up to 10 degrees cooler. Better yet, it uses 10 per cent of the energy of a central air conditioner. And yes, there’s an app for that! You can even install smart ceiling fans connected to an app on your phone. Pair this with an energy-efficient air conditioner, and you’ve got one cool house with extra money to spare!
4. Conduct an audit: If you happen to have an older home, chances are that cool air is seeping out through cracks and crevices of doors and windows or an aging attic. Sign up for a home energy audit with us or another licensed contractor to boost your energy efficiency.
5. Pump it up: It seems counterproductive at first, but the most inexpensive way to use your AC is to turn it up when you leave the house, according to the NRDC. Air conditioning systems work best at full speed during extended periods of time. Turning it on a lower temperature as soon as you get home will save you more dollars than the AC going on and off while you’re out.
If you take advantage of these simple steps, you’ll be well on your way to having more money! If you’re interested in replacing your outdated AC for a more energy efficient air conditioner model, give Axiom Home Services a call today!